In its annual survey of the world 50 most valuable sports franchises, Forbes places the Nets at No. 38 at $2. 5 billion. That suggests that Joe Tsai paid a premium for the Nets nd Barclays Center a year ago when he slapped down between $3 and 3. 5 billion for the team and arena (depending on which report you believed at the time. ) The survey appears to include the value of a team venue in its estimates, when appropriate. Down in the fine print, it details how the Nets/Barclays value dropped so precipitously between what Tsai paid and its current value. o while Tsai paid $3. 3 billion for the Nets, we think the team is worth more like $2. 5 billion because he paid around $1 billion for a money-losing arena business. But Tsai paid $3. 3 billion for the team and arena. Norman Oder, critic and chronicler of the overall Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park project, texted Kurt Badenhausen, the Forbes author, with the question of whether he thought Tsai overpaid. Here how he responded. . . e believe Nets and rights to operate Barclays are worth less than what Joe Tsai paid. owever, Tsai, responding to a NetsDaily Twitter post, had his his analysis. . . The understanding of a deal from outside-in is never as good as that of the guy who did the deal. 2as changed hands in the past decade, (However , three teams between Nos. 36 and 40 did change hands, including the Nets and Clippers. )At the time of the agreement between Tsai and Mikhail Prokhorov, just short of a year ago, there were disputes over how much the e-commerce billionaire paid and how the numbers broke down . The New York Post Brian Lewis and Josh Kosman as well as Scott Soshnick, then of Bloomberg News, and Badenhausen of Forbes all offered their own estimates on the Nets price tag. The three reports differed somewhat with the Post pinning the price at $3 billion, Forbes at $3. 3 billion and Bloomberg at around $3. 5 billion. A league source involved in the transaction told NetsDaily at the time that the final price for the team and venue was $3. 5 billion. According to Lewis and Kosman, the arena was valued at $700 million in the larger transaction. Soshnick and Badenhausen do not break out the cost of the arena at the time. As a team, not counting the arena, the Nets valuation back then was reportedly $2. 35 billion. Tsai agreed to pay $1. 15 billion for 49 percent of the team in October 2017, with an option to buy the remaining 51 percent for another $1. 2 billion. Barclays was not part of that original agreement. Tsai net worth has jumped spectacularly since the October 2017 agreement, going from an estimated $8. 8 billion then to $13. 4 billion on Friday. He has also purchase the New York Liberty and other sports properties since then. There are other questions regarding local valuations in the Forbes survey . While Badenhausen estimates the Knicks value at $4. 6 billion, third overall, the current market cap total dollar market value of a company outstanding shares of parent company Madison Square Garden Sports (MSGS) is $3. 7 billion nd that includes the Rangers as well as the Knicks. Since the pandemic, the newly formed company has seen its stock price plummet from $223 per share to $154 on Friday.